The end of The Tour de Farce

The boys arrived safely in Chamonix on Friday 10th September after cycling 651 miles through all manner of weather conditions and health conditions.

This blog will continue to update, as the boys have further fundraising activities planned for September and October, including another cycling event (although considerably shorter than this one!).

Thank you for following the blog - and please keep following it in the future.

Rebecca

Saturday 11 September 2010

The end of The Tour de Farce


And so the Tour de Farce comes to an end - with a large beer in Chamonix. After highs and lows, rain and sun, sore hands, lost mobile phones and sore 'regions', not to mention a couple of new entries on the StuPiD moments page - they've finally made it to Chamonix. Here is final feedback from the boys:
George: I found the last day's cycle from Geneva to Chamonix relatively easy and was able to really enjoy the scenery. And what an amazing sight it was that greeted us - Chamonix is beautiful, absolutely stunning. I will definitely return, although next time I will fly instead! It's been an emotional week too and very tough at times (sharing a double bed with Steve in the hotel in Geneva being one of those moments...!) but I have thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience. Here comes my 'Oscar' thank-yous: We couldn't have done this without Kyle - our support driver/first aider/lunch-maker/route finder. He's been amazingly brilliant and we are so very grateful to him for giving up his holiday and following us around - it can't have been pleasant for him at times! I also want to say thank you to the makers of Chamois Butt'r - it's an absolutely amazing invention that has prevented serious chaffing, if you know what I mean. Lastly, I am going to thank Becks (my wife) - our 'blog mistress' who has spent 2 hours a night uploading photos to Facebook and putting the blog together, and who has kept me together - you are a star ;-)
Stu: "Although I have been to Chamonix many times before, you just do not get the same experience looking out of a transfer bus window as you do whilst cycling along at 15mph. Today was just amazing, and for me capped off what has been an amazing 8 days. I am so pleased that my crazy idea, back in September 2009 resulted in the five of us completing 651 miles (check the speedo photo) without the loss of a limb, although the amount of stuff that Paul lost on the trip I wouldnt' have been surprised if he'd have done! I would like to say a big thank you to everyone who has supported both myself and the rest of the team and our goal to raise £5,000 for Marie Curie Cancer Care and £5,000 for Colitis and Crohn's UK - a total that with off and online dontations we only need roughly £3,500 more to achieve!! I would also like to take this opportunity to thank my wife and daughters who have had to eat, sleep and breath cycling for the past year - thank you for your patience and I love you loads!! xx Right, I am off to party like it's 1999 - well probably until 10pm anyway - I'm knackered. (NB it was actually party until 4.30am....very impressive RM)
Paul: "An amazing tour finished with an amazing day. The cycle through from Geneva past Mont Blanc into Chamonix is one I'll never forget, at times I nearly fell off my bike looking up at the awe-inspiring snow-capped mountains. A great day was capped off with a lovely jacuzzi, sauna and dip in the pool. It is very difficult to encapsulate what a fantastic experience the Tour de Farce has been with so many hilarious memories. I would say that having spent 8 days with Stewart, George, Steve and Kyle, that I have made good friends. After a 10 year recovery I'll definitely be up for another tour!! Thanks for the memories boys! Finally, a massive thank you to everyone who has sponsored us and to Julia, Emily and Grace who have been so supportive over the last 12 months. xxx
Steve: " One of the highlights of my week has been the stunning scenery and trying to capture it on camera so I was particularly upset when my camera stopped working for the day on the Juras but at least I hadn't lost mine, eh Paul? After pulling it apart and resetting the time etc, I did manage to get it going again. So, with just the final run up into the valley beneath the towering mass of Mont Blanc, I was looking forward to finishing the tour and taking some more pics. I woke up at 5.45 before the alarm went off and tip toeing in the dark set about my arse preserving measures and the rest of my morning routine. My blocked nose was put to the back of my mind and with mind and body ready and raring to go, I stepped out of the bathroom only to be told by a half-asleep Kyle that it was not in fact 6.00am but 5.00am! After a volley of expletives I then went back to bed and so my day continued - a total struggle and I was so grateful to make it to the 'Bravo' on the road at the top of the last climb. UNBELIEVABLE WEEK - with a great night out last night to finish me off, but that's another story....



1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on the whole thing guys - I'm blown away, so I can't imagine what it must be like taking part and completing the Tour. The Blog has been brilliant, particularly the photos and the daily comments from each of the boys. Sounds like recovering from the celebrations may be the most difficult part in the end!

    ReplyDelete