The end of The Tour de Farce

The boys arrived safely in Chamonix on Friday 10th September after cycling 651 miles through all manner of weather conditions and health conditions.

This blog will continue to update, as the boys have further fundraising activities planned for September and October, including another cycling event (although considerably shorter than this one!).

Thank you for following the blog - and please keep following it in the future.

Rebecca

Thursday 9 September 2010

End of Day 7

The boys have raised just over £6000 for their charities - keep the donations coming in so you can help them meet their target of £10k.

Today saw the boys climb to the highest point on the whole tour, and saw them complete part of the Tour de France course. Highlights today include another StuPiD moment from Paul, and delirium finally setting in (see strange photos below). Only one day left!

Feedback from the boys:

George: "Thank you legs - you got me to the top of the mountain and boy, was it worth it when I got there - absolutely amazing! It was well worth the 6 days of pain, rain and wind to get to the top and see the beautiful scenery. We met some brilliant people today and following part of the Tour de France route was just great. I've realised that I'm possibly not built for hill climbing....or flat racing...I think I'm more suited to drinking pints and talking about rugby, if I'm honest. I don't think I'll ever fit in my suit trousers again either - my thighs are huge! I've been forced to face my fear of heights today - but dealt with it by cycling in the middle of the road for much of the way, much to the amusement of the boys. Some seriously steep drops, and no crash barriers - what are the French thinking of?? Only one day left now, can't believe we've been cyling for 7 days constantly....

Stewart: "I awoke this morning after 6 hours sleep (the most I've had all week!!) with a nervous excitement, like a child at Christmas. For me the whole trip has been about conquering this day; crossing my first col (moutain pass) by my own power! So, completing the 56 miles and 2000 metres of climbing to the col in under 5 hours made me a very happy chap. The weather was perfect, being able to go at my own pace was also really helpful, all in all, a perfect day. One I would repeat tomorrow if I could, and I never would have thought I would have said that at the beginning of the week! Oh and the 20 miles decent into Geneva was a blast - I overtook 3 cars, a lorry and a bus on the hair pin bends and hit 40 mph with Lake Geneva in the background, which was truly exhilirating. I can't believe it's day 8 tomorrow, with the tour rolling into Chamonix...!!!

Paul "An amazing day's cycling crossing through the Jura mountains into Geneva was an experience I will never forget. To say the views were breath-taking would not come close to describing the fantastic scenery and I only wish Julia and the girls were also there to enjoy it with me. The 20 mile decent into Geneva frightened me to death but in a really good way and the climbs although hard were not as bas as I thought they would be. We met some fantastic riders raising money for a host of charities and I even had a 20 minute conversation with a dutch bio-physicist about curing cancer and advances in cell technology! Who said life was boring?? Happy Birthday Emily - can't wait to see you on Saturday xxxxx (Paul forgot to mention his minor mishap outside a fast food restaurant - picture above....RM)

Steve "As many of you know, I have been anxious to say the least about today! 2000m of climbing in one day was a frightening prospect! My nerves were short lived, however, as we were presented with the hardest climb I have ever been subjected to (known locally as 'The Wall') at 7am and after 1 mile of consistent 13% gradient climb I was feeling that nothing could stop me from getting to the top of the Col De la Faucille. We split up to do it at our own pace and I was very content with finishing just 6 minutes behind Stu. Receiving 'Bon Courages' and 'Chapeaus' on the way up from the locals gave me encouragement and seeing the graffiti on the road left after the last Tour De France was awe inspiring stuff. The scenery was unbelievable and the weather was at last kind to us. As ever, Paul 'Duracel Bunny' Nanji kept going to the top receiving a standing ovation and a round of applause from us waiting at the top. Needless to say he also provided some entertainment with a 2nd StuPiD moment in a McDonald's carpark and also somehow getting his chain wrapped around his pedals ?!?! One more day to go....
























No comments:

Post a Comment