The end of The Tour de Farce

The boys arrived safely in Chamonix on Friday 10th September after cycling 651 miles through all manner of weather conditions and health conditions.

This blog will continue to update, as the boys have further fundraising activities planned for September and October, including another cycling event (although considerably shorter than this one!).

Thank you for following the blog - and please keep following it in the future.

Rebecca

Tuesday 7 September 2010

End of Day 5

End of Day 5 - another wet and windy day but only 3 days left to go!! The boys are now in Dijon (mustard anyone?), well on their way to the Alps.


Feedback from the day:


Steve: "Du pain, du vin, du Boursin. Non! Do rain, no wine, do urarsein.... Yet another day has passed and we are still well on track. It has rained pretty much most of the day with plenty of wind both indoors and out! The low bulk, high carbs energy supplements are certainly taking their toll and I'm glad I'm on Denplan with the amount of sugar I'm taking in! Despite the weather, we flew the 98 miles today and are all in high spirits but having seen the 70kmh winds and thunderstorms forecast for tomorrow we are highly concerned!! The French have cheered us on and we even got our first 'chapeau' today (chapeau is shouted to the Tour De France riders). Off to go and hair-dry my shoes, socks, tops, shorts...."


Paul: "I must admit I woke up with a combination of trepidation and worry as we entered day five of the 'Tour de Farce'. Day four ("an easy one"; Stewart Broome, 4.9.2010) was anything but and with big climbs, head winds and rain I feared the worst for what lay ahead. How wrong was I - despite the rain we had an exhilirating day's cycling with the massive downpour as we dropped into Dijon being an amazing experience. Even when the going got tough the regular shouts from George of 'go on my son' kept me on schedule and we are feeling in good spirits as we enter day 6."

Stewart: "I'm trying to write this whilst still laughing from reading Steve's comments....anyway today for me was amazing. Granted it p***ed it down the likes of which I haven't seen for some time, but doing 30mph down a five mile decent with the rain stinging your face is quite an experience... especially when you realise that your braking distance has quadrupled!! Today I also saved a French lady's dog that chased Steve and Paul down the main road with lorries and cars speeding along. I made sure that the lorry stopped and managed to grab the dog's collar. The lady was very grateful, at least I think she was as french is not my strong point.... On the whole a very enjoyable 100 miles."


George: "Had a really good day today - even though it was a long day with some big climbs, and the weather was atrocious - cycling into a headwind. Spirits were good and we did it in record time - faster today (100 miles) than yesterday (79 miles). We are gearing ourselves up for the big climbs on Thursday. I am learning to time the intake of energy bars to maximise the buzz - best not straight after a big lunch; but I am running low on mars bars - nightmare! Kyle to the rescue. ... I've been banned from sleeping on the camp-bed in the hotel room because I bounce up and down too much and keep the others awake (good ploy eh?), Bon nuit"

No comments:

Post a Comment